Join Telfer from Downstairs/Upstairs Studios & get yourself in the holiday spirit by making Holiday Lanterns!
We'll be building handmade stoneware lanterns that will make perfect candle holders to add soft lighting to your home while you sip away on some hot cocoa or enjoy a plate of gingerbread cookies!
Sunday December 5th 10:30am-12:30pm ONE SPOT LEFT
Learn the basics of hand-building with slab to create a beautiful set of lanterns. This is a fun introduction to clay, with lots of opportunity to get creative. A reservation must be made to book a spot. Maximum class size is 8.
Our class includes: clay, tools, glaze, firing and inspiration. All you have to bring is your creativity!
Cost is $50
Who is this class for?
This workshop is intended for anyone 12 and up. Younger than 12? Reach out to us or register with a parent.
How long is the workshop?
2 Hours with cleanup included.
What do I make?
Everyone is given a large piece of slab to work with. There is enough clay for everyone to make two mugs. If you have left over clay with your slab and time then try making a mini stirring spoons! Experiment with texture and put your personality into these custom pieces.
How this workshop works
- Sign up online, over the phone or by visiting the studio.
- Day of: Dress for Mess! We recommend wearing clothes you can get muddy in. Think gardening clothes. We currently cannot provide aprons for classes.
- Show up 5-15 minutes early. We promise we're friendly, there's lots to see in our studio PLUS sometimes there are dogs here!
- The teacher will slab building and give you an overview as to how it works.
- Cleanup is a shared activity. Everyone lends a hand and is responsible for cleaning their space as much as possible.Is it your first time?
THAT IS AWESOME! We love sharing our love of clay and everything we've learned through years & years (and more years) of playing with clay. This workshop is a fantastic introduction to pottery.Reminder: Practice makes a master. You may have seen lots of gorgeous handmade pieces you want to replicate or take inspiration from, but remember you don't see the 100s or 1000s of failed pieces those artists made. If this is one of your first times playing with clay focus on the experience and we'll all do our best to make sure you have a piece to be proud of to take home!
- Dangly bracelets can maybe get in your way and so might rings.
- DRESS FOR MESS! Or bring a change of clothes.
- BRING texture inspiration! Everyone is given a select number of texture tools, but if you bring leaves, flowers and lace the world of possibilities will grow!
There's a saying "nothing like pottery to teach you patience". We first bisque fire your pieces, then once cooled we glaze and refire. Pieces usually take 2-3 weeks. We email everyone when the pieces are ready for pick up. We fire according to size and best fit in the kiln.
Because we all want to create, but stay safe at the same time we have some new guidelines in place:
1) Tools can no longer be shared. You will be given a set of cleaned tools to work with at the beginning of the class. If you would like to bring extra items to create texture with please do!
2) Dress for the mess! We can't provide aprons. If you would like to keep your clothes as clean as possible please bring a towel or apron with you, Extra points if it says "Kiss the Cook".
3) To maintain physical distance guidelines we've rearranged our classroom so everyone can create and be safe. You will each have your own station and please don't share tools with students outside of your household. Even if you tell them to go long!
4) The clay is yours! Please be selfish and keep your clay to yourself! For once sharing is NOT CARING.
5) Please stay home if you are experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 or have been in contact with someone with Covid-19. We'll arrange for an alternate experience as a makeup for you.
6) Per sec.22 masks must be worn. We also have sanitized face shields available for all students who wish to have one.
We only allow up to 8 students in a class, so they fill up fast! At this time we cannot accommodate any extra students as we have done in the past.
Explore you Creativity with Clay and Have Fun Getting Muddy!